Saturday, May 23, 2009

Musings

People are stupid.  I kinda hate to say it, but it’s true.  Humans are “intelligent,” yes, but really?  Being “intelligent” has only brought about a crapload of complications.  I’d rather be a cat.  Seriously, their biggest issue is whether today’s bath is going to be followed by a nasty hairball.  It’s the same for all other creatures on this earth- they worry about eating, sleeping, and procreating.  That’s about it.  Humans are the only ones dumb enough to care about whether their mode of transportation is as good or better than their neighbor’s.

 

(Random word to the less-than-wise: when you move, unpack your stuff right away.  I just had to pause my writing here for a while to go on a quest to find my Bible in the mass of boxes and whatnot in my room, which is still there from when I moved home from college… a week ago.  Anyway, said quest took a while, and my train of thought was derailed a bit… forgive me if it takes a paragraph or two extra to get to my point now.  :/)

 

What I’m trying to figure out is why in the world people are so obsessed with material things.  I mean, we know they don’t matter; God tells us that (Matthew 6: 25-34).  So why are we so obsessed with having the next new thing?  Even people that claim to not care want the “stuff.”  It’s everything, not just expensive cars and big houses, and it’s all distractions from God.  It’s the things people don’t think about as being distractions- that cute purse, a new pair of jeans.  Whenever you’re thinking about the “stuff” you’re not thinking about what you should be- God. 

 

I once heard “worship” defined as what you’re thinking of all the time, day and night.  Take a second to think about what you really think about most (odd, isn’t it?).  It is what you thought it would be?  (Make sure you’re being honest with yourself too.)

 

At this very moment I am distracted by a giant green beetle that is apparently determined to make a nest on my foot (gross).   Now you’re probably thinking, “Rachel, how does a beetle tie into what you’re saying here?”  Well, just bear with me and my lame little tangent for a moment.  This beetle isn’t the kind of distraction in life I’m taking about.  I’m talking about the habitual stuff.  This green beetle isn’t going to be here next year, next week, or even five minutes from now; I’m going to make sure of that.  This green beetle is one distraction that I do not want in my life, so I’m going to get rid of it.  We need to do the same thing with the other distractions we have, whatever it may be.  The only problem s that lots of times we actually want the distractions, or we think we do.  We like to have the latest fashions and be “with the times.”  I’m not saying that it’s bad to be fashionable- I don’t think it really matters to God what brand of jeans you wear.  What I’m trying to say is that it shouldn’t take over your mind.

 

So in lieu of “How do you think?” (see my first blog), I’m going to challenge you to a new question: what do you think?  Don’t be stupid.  Hold yourself accountable.  Make sure you spend a significant amount of time everyday thinking about where you’ll be for eternity, and how you can help everyone else on this earth know where they’re going.  Don’t let your mind wander- make sure you’re thinking about what you should be thinking about.  Soon enough what you should be thinking about will be what you want to think about.

And don’t forget, when you’ve thought about it, don’t stop there-- DO something about it.

Love always,

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment